Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Cupboard Clean-out: Spicy Roasted Carrot Soup




I hate throwing food away.  I see the harsh reality of hunger everyday at my job and I don't want to take for granted how lucky I am that I have never truly experienced hunger.  But it seems no matter how hard I try, something goes bad in my fridge each month resulting in wasted food.  My solution: 1 meal a week based completely on items that need to be used up in my refrigerator and cupboards and I encourage you to give it a try.  I wonder what kind of creative recipes will come out of it!?

Tonight I decided to make dinner using up a few things in the fridge that would need to go in a few days if I didn't.  The main component: a 1 lb bag of carrots that has been sitting in the fridge untouched.  Result: yummy and healthy dinner, and carrots saved from rotten demise.




Soups are always a good way to use up produce. This was so easy to throw together and it was delicious and warming on a chilly evening.  This could be easily adapted to use up whatever other veggies you have lying around.  Potatoes, squash, tomatoes, turnips and sweet potatoes would all work well.

Spicy Roasted Carrot Soup 
Servings: 6  Serving Size: 1 Cup

Ingredients: 

  • 1 lb Carrots, peeled 
  • 1/2 an Onion
  • 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
  • Salt, Pepper, Olive Oil 
  • 3 Chicken Bouillon Cubes dissolved in 3 Cups water OR 3 cups Chicken Stock 
  • 1 Cup Milk
  • 2 Tbsp Flour
  • 2 cloves Garlic
  • 1/2 tsp grated Ginger 
  • 1/2 tsp Srirarcha 
  • 1 tsp chopped Rosemary 
  • Optional Toppings: Sour Cream, Cheese, Croutons 
Directions: 

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Chop carrots, onion, and red pepper into large chunks.  Put veggies on a sheet pan and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.





While veggies are roasting, heat water and chicken bouillon (or chicken stock) over medium heat.  Add roasted veggies to pot, cover, and simmer until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.  Transfer veggies and stock to a blender and blend until smooth consistency.

Pour mixture back into pot.  Mix the milk with the flour to create a slurry and slowly mix into the pureed soup. Grate in the garlic and ginger.  Add sriracha and chopped rosemary.

Serve with sour cream, cheese, and croutons if desired.







Makes 6, 1 cup servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment